Monday, March 8, 2010

For The Cause


I am so lucky. When my mother first faced cancer, I was 5 years old. At that time, odds were stacked against her. She had pre-menopausal breast cancer that had taken both her breasts. If you know my mom, you know she’s got the strength, attitude and good fortune behind her to fight anything. And she won. I am blessed that despite having fought cancer many times, she is “cured” and a wonderful part of my life today.


This is my cause. I am participating in the Weekend to End Women’s Cancers here in Ottawa this year. I will walk with my team and hundreds of other men and women to raise money for the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation that funds research and treatment to those who are fighting cancer. This kind of research has led to many advances already so that more women are surviving and thriving post-cancer. There is more to do and I am proud to be a part of it.


It is easier to simply write a cheque to a cause I care about and be done with it. But this time it is different. I am taking the leap. Jumping out of my comfort zone and daring to ask others to give. I am aiming to raise over $2000 and can’t do it alone. If this is a cause you are interested in and you would like to sponsor me, please visit the link below. Your support with your donations or words of encouragement is greatly appreciated. Thank you!




http://www.endc/ndcancer.ca/site/TR/Events/Ottawa2010?px=2897234&pg=personal&fr_id=1370


4 comments:

  1. I hope the link thingy is working. If you have troubles, just let me know.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your Mom is still around (and groovy). I really admire you for doing this (not the walking part so much as the asking people for money - makes me break out in hives). Happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome--what a great event to take part in!

    I can totally appreciate the discomfort of asking for donations, even for a cause as good as this. It's been ages since I've found time to do one of these walks to raise money for anything...least I can do is help you out a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about people doing this walk! It's my 2nd year walking as well:)

    I just thought I would point out that it's very easy to ask for money for a cause you beleive in! People want to help. Some can help with donations, others can help in other ways. It's not like you're asking for money for you! It's to help provide hope and much needed money for reasearch and patient care.

    Kudos to you! It can be a tough job but it's so worth it! The high at the end, crossing the pink carpet is so worth it. Of course there are the bazillion other reasons too:)

    ReplyDelete