Sunday, March 7, 2010

Farm Fulfillment

Since my husband is away right now, I thought we needed a field trip to pass the time. My sister has a wonderful small farm about 3/4 hour away and kids the same ages as mine. Right now they are lambing. Some smaller ones needed to be bottle fed and I got to do the honours. I want to bring one home but I think my husband would be concerned and the cat would be alarmed.


Going to the farm is so centering for us all. The kids run free and are delighted to help with chores. They go treasure hunting in the fields, look for signs of dragons or fairies in the woods, and invent all sorts of contraptions. Getting fresh eggs, collecting maple sap or bringing hay to the sheep is all good fun for them. If only they could have such enthusiasm for room cleaning! The weather was ideal today and we walked with little complaint to the back of the property, seeing a piliated woodpecker and signs of porcupines on the way. Something about the fresh air and really getting back to the basics makes us all feel the stress lift.


All that being said, I couldn't live the country life. Too much city blood in me, loving my walks to coffee shops and having neighbours. Just the same, I'm so lucky to have this farm connection. I was too busy in the moment to remember my camera. So I've attached a photo of us in the fall enjoying such a day at the farm.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your get-away - it sounds lovely! I'm with you in that I don't think I'd want to live in the country, but I do love to visit. I grew up in a rural area, and there is something really lovely about it. At least once in a while, anyway.

    ReplyDelete