Monday, February 13, 2012

The Upside of 40-something

Whoever said you can't teach an old dog new tricks must have just meant it literally.  People learn all the time.  Call is wisdom, been-there-done-that or just a constant search to make life easier, I've noticed some things have got better over time.

  • Parallel parking - I can do it now!  First time, I swivel right into the spot without dinging the BMW or knocking down a pedestrian on the sidewalk.  I am amazed.  I have no idea why this is happening now.  Maybe I have just lost the fear and I have no need to impress a date.  Back in my youth I purposely took my driver's licence in January so that I wouldn't have to demonstrate the parallel parking thing due to snowbanks.  Now I grab a street side spot without hesitation. 
  • One of the cakes I did NOT make
  • I say "no" when I want to say it.  For example, I love the school cake raffle.  The parents make gorgeous cakes and send them in.  I did it a couple of times and I know there was lots of swearing involved.  Baking is not my forte.  So, no, I love to help with lots of things but this isn't one that works for me.
  • I say "yes" to more things, just because I want to, not to please anyone else.  The past decade has been so devoted to making life wonderful for my family, that I have often felt my needs and wants slipping to the back of the line.  There are times that I had no idea of who I was and what I wanted out of life.  I am taking "me" back.  I deserve it.  When opportunities present themselves, I say yes so much more often.  That feels pretty damn good.
  • If I drive the car, I pick the music.  As head chauffeur of this place, I have the joy of driving my kids all over the place.  Out have gone boppy kids tunes to make way for my stuff.  I am a much happier driver if I can sing along to something that doesn't make me want to whack a fuzzy muppet.  Road trip anyone?
I'm sure there are a few dozen more things I could add to this list, but I can't think of them right now.  Another bonus to being more mature is that any need to be perfect has evaporated.  I am happier not stressing over whether this is the perfect post or not.  It isn't and I just want to blog it anyway. 

Maybe the old dogs are actually just getting wiser, having watched too many cats in their happy self-centered worlds.  Forget the new tricks, dude.  Fetch the damn ball yourself, this sunbeam is really comfy!

1 comment:

  1. i will be the person buying the cakes not making them. that is for certain.

    40 ain't half bad, is it? ;)

    ReplyDelete